Thursday 27 August 2009

Season 8

Mood - good and awake! Food - cereal and coffee Music - none

Site updates - I added a quote of the day game (check it out!) and a new video of the week. There's a new poll and the nitpicks and goofs section has been updated. News updates too. Phew!

SPOILERS AHEAD FOR ISSUES 23 - 25 and issues 1 - 22

Ok, so I was catching up on my Buffy season 8 comic reading yesterday (I was six issues behind - I'm now three issues behind which i'm ordering today) The problem is if I get the comics on subscription they charge your stupid postage charges for each comic so it ends up being too expensive. If I order in bulk I get a discount. The last three comics were about Buffy and Andrew taking a road trip together, Giles and Faith discovering why vamps won't attack a town full of Slayers (not what you think!) and Dawn stuck inside a porcelain doll.

I have to say that I enjoyed the Faith issue best by Jim Krueger and Cliff Richards with executive producer Joss Whedon. Special mention to the incredible cover art by Jo Chen on all three covers. What a great artist she is - the characters literally come to life on the page.

George Jeanty is a superb comic book artist too. He does most of the inside work. I'm not really a comic book fan (I have a few rare issues here and there but I don't read any comic book regularly (I'm no Sheldon!) apart from Buffy and Angel after the fall - which I'm so far behind on!)

I like the idea behind season 8. People like vampires and have taken a strong dislike to Slayers. Not so far-fetched (people love Twilight and True Blood at the moment and people have fallen in love with Spike and Angel in the past! So yeah, it's a believable storyline. The one shot Harmony comic which explained all this was excellent. One of my favourite episodes in the season so far.

I'm not so sure about the Dawn storyline. She sleeps with a boy and blows him off (not literally oh the image!) for his best mate and then he casts a spell on her which turns her into a giant, some form of horse and then a porcelain doll. Why not just turn her into one thing? Are the writers making this up as they go along? How did she end up in the doll makers possession? Was that part of the spell or did he find her somewhere? Either way our little Dawnie is all grown up!

I like it that the same writers are working on the comics as the television series. I can't wait for Steven DeKnights turn! And I've heard that Oz is in the next issue - very exciting. I enjoyed the Buffy / Fray crossover - something that is easier done in the world of comics then on TV. But imagine how good that would be as a film?

I'd like to stick my two pence in about Buffy sleeping with a young slayer girl. Erm..I know the writers have had lots of negative feedback and I'm afraid I'm gonna add my support to that pile of mail. Buffy is straight! She's always been straight! She has never shown any inclination that she might be gay. She has openly been disgusted by the thought on the television series. I have nothing against gay people but Buffy is not gay. To me it just seems like cheap sensationalism and I guess it did what it was supposed to. Because everyone won't shut up about it! On the other hand I am a guy and the image was very well drawn. I just could have lived without it.

Xander! Xander has nothing to do AGAIN. Please give him something to do and I really really wanna see some hints dropped that he could...that he might end up with Buffy. I've seen loads of letters asking for the same thing at the back of the darkhorse comic book. hell, even Scott the editor said he'd love to see it. Xander deserves a break and an hour of love making with the Buffster! Who's with me?

Steven Lee is the creator of Whedonverse and Whedonverse forum.

No comments:

Post a Comment